Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry with Cilantro and Lime
Eating right and getting enough protein during the day is one of the best things you can do to gain muscle. This is one of my favorite recipes and one that my wife and kids love as well.
This recipe has 39.5 g of quality protein as well as essential vitamins and minerals. This meal can be implemented during a cutting or bulking cycle. When I am bulking I will add a cup of whole grain rice or a baked sweet potato. But you can add your favorite carb to complement this flavorful dish.
I should also note that when I make this recipe I usually double the ingredients to accommodate the whole family.
The spices in this chicken and asparagus stir fry give the dish complexity while the cilantro and lime work to brighten everything up. The key to perfecting this recipe is quality ingredients. Go with free-range chicken if you can and always opt for organic produce. Once you have everything you need, cook the chicken, sauté the asparagus until tender, toss everything together and you’re done!
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger
- ¼ cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Season the chicken with cumin, a generous pinch of salt and black pepper.
2. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add the chicken and cook while stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
4. Add the asparagus and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender yet crisp.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low before tossing in the garlic and ginger.
6. Return the chicken to the skillet.
7. Pour in the chicken broth and half of the lime juice. The liquid will ensure tender juicy chicken every time.
8. Increase heat to medium and bring the liquid to a gentle boil.
9. Let boil for one minute.
10. Remove from the heat and add the remaining lime juice.
11. Stir in the cilantro, plate and serve.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Calories per serving 260
Total Fat 8.4 g
Saturated Fat 2.6 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.7 g
Cholesterol 97.5 mg
Sodium 458.0 mg
Potassium 266.2 mg
Total Carbohydrate 4.2 g
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
Sugars 2.1 g
Protein 39.5 g
Vitamin A 9.3 %
Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
Vitamin B-6 5.8 %
Vitamin C 29.1 %
Vitamin D 0.0 %
Vitamin E 9.4 %
Calcium 2.4 %
Copper 7.3 %
Folate 25.6 %
Iron 4.2 %
Magnesium 3.8 %
Manganese 11.4 %
Niacin 4.7 %
Pantothenic Acid 1.5 %
Phosphorus 4.6 %
Riboflavin 6.1 %
Selenium 2.8 %
Thiamin 7.6 %
Zinc 2.5 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.